September 22, 2020
Dear Parents and Guardians,
We are excited to share that our English and Math classes are implementing a program called i-Ready. Below, you will find information about the program and how we will be using it in the classroom.
What is i-Ready?
- Ready is an online program that will help us determine your child’s strengths and areas for growth, personalize their learning, and monitor their progress throughout the school year. i-Ready allows us to meet your child where they are and provides us with data to inform instruction.
The i-Ready Diagnostic is an adaptive assessment that adjusts its questions to suit your child’s needs. Each item a student receives is based on their answer to the previous question. For example, a series of correct answers will result in slightly harder questions, while a series of incorrect answers will yield slightly easier ones. The purpose of this is not to give your child a score or grade but to determine how to best support their learning. The testing window will take place from Wednesday 9/23/2020 to 10/13/2020. Please contact your child’s content teacher for more specific dates and times.
What can I do to help?
To help prepare your child for the i-Ready Diagnostic, encourage them to:
- Get a good night’s sleep and eat a full breakfast the day of the assessment.
- Try their best on each question and try not to rush.
- Try not to worry about questions they do not know—remind them that it is expected that they will only get about half of the questions correct.
- Be respectful of other students who take longer to finish.
- Use paper and pencil to show work for math questions.
What happens next?
The i-Ready Diagnostic will provide results that help me identify your child’s strengths and determine next steps for instruction. We look forward to sharing these results with you throughout the year and providing a learning experience that will engage your child while teaching important skills and concepts.
If you have any questions about i-Ready, please do not hesitate to contact us or the school. You can also learn more about i-Ready by visiting i-ReadyCentral.com/FamilyCenter.
As always, thank you for your continued support and for being a partner in your child’s learning! It is much
Mr. Paul Williams -Principal
Southview Middle School