October 14, 2020. |. COVID Testing for Student Athletes Begins
|As we shared last week, Lorain City Schools will be providing FREE COVID-19 TESTING to staff and students. Our goal is to better understand community spread right here in Lorain.|
COVID-19 testing in Lorain is critical to our process to return students to our classrooms. Results from testing will be used to assure we can react quickly to any positive case while assessing our mitigation strategies, but also to provide us with a picture of school/community spread to inform us on future decisions. It is my hope that the following information helps to provide clarity on where we're at, and where we're headed with this initiative.
- This testing is a joint effort by the Lorain County Public Health, Mercy Health of Lorain and a university medical research partner.
- We have not yet been able to name the research partner because they have to have all communications approved through their marketing channels -- and that is taking some time.
- This service will be offered at NO COST to our district or families because of a generous donation from one of our community partners.
- Please know that we aren't intending to create an air of secrecy by not naming the partner. Our partner made a sizable donation, and they asked to remain anonymous. We are honoring their request.
- Testing is being provided first to students wishing to participate in winter sports.
- Middle school and high school students who wish to participate in winter athletics MUST BE COVID TESTED in order to be eligible for tryouts, conditioning and competition.
- Student-athlete testing begins TOMORROW. Drive-thru tests will be administered on Thursday and Friday from 9:00AM to 3:00PM at the George Daniel Field House.
- We apologize for the short advance notice for families. Coordinating a project of this magnitude, and with this level of sensitivity, requires advanced training, acquisition of PPE, and approval of language and consents by each of those partners. That process can take some time. Our priority was to get our athletes tested as soon as possible so that they can have their results in order to participate in tryouts.
- For the safety of all, MASKS MUST BE WORN by every person in the vehicle with the student who will be tested.
- Since test result timeframes can vary, some tryout periods may need to be extended. We will work closely with families if this is the case.
- NOTE: If it is raining tomorrow, testing may need to be moved under the covered area of the stadium. In order to maintain social distancing, participants will be asked to stay in their vehicles until called upon for testing.
- Athletes must have completed consent forms in order to get their COVID test. Some of our coaches handed out these forms after school today; hard copies will also be available in the Athletic Department at Lorain High and at the testing sites.
- It is critical that the student's full legal name be entered on the form (no abbreviations or nicknames).
- CONSENT FORM 1 | CONSENT FORM 2
- Consent forms will be available on the district website and pushed out to families via email, text, mobile app and social media to get them in the hands of as many families as possible prior to testing.
- Families with completed forms will get tested first. Those who need to fill out their forms on-site will be entered into the queue once their paperwork is completed.
- The test being administered is the highly accurate PCR test, which is used to diagnose an active infection in individuals with or without symptoms. Learn more about types of tests here.
- Test results will be shared with families within a few days.
- Positive results will be given priority, communicated first by Katie Malear, our Mercy School Based Health CNP, and Lorain County Public Health, which will advise families on next steps regarding contact tracing, etc.
We will continue to keep you updated as we progress.