The Lorain City Schools is committed to promoting mutual respect among cultures by strengthening intercultural understanding within our schools, district and community.
Intercultural describes communities in which there is a deep understanding and respect for all cultures. Intercultural communication focuses on the mutual exchange of ideas and cultural norms and the development of deep relationships. In an intercultural society, no one is left unchanged because everyone learns from one another and grows together.
We will do this by:
- Ensuring district, school and classroom communications are translated into the home language to ensure every family has equal access to information
- Developing an interpreter network within our school system to help effectively communicate with and provide services to our families and community members who speak languages other than English
- Providing professional development to collectively improve our cultural competency as a learning community
- Developing and promoting programming with our families that celebrates the many cultures of those we serve
- Engaging our families who speak languages other than English through surveys, focus groups, and Town Halls to gain valuable feedback and input affecting the future of Lorain City Schools