The Lorain City Schools follows a MULTI-TIERED SYSTEM OF SUPPORT (MTSS) to integrate school safety and crisis management in a holistic approach that prioritizes the needs of students.
Much of the support for school students is Tier I and can be handled by highly qualified school personnel and social workers. Tier II and Tier III require specific, targeted intervention that is directed to specific organizations that can provide an extensive support service.
Our system of care has been developed to provide an array of supports to our students and families, including:
- AFTER-SCHOOL PROGRAMMING AND MENTORING provided by partner agencies focus on character, leadership, and social-emotional development;
- BEHAVIORAL HEALTH CARE SYSTEMS SUPPORT that promote interventions, consultations, screenings, access to therapists and counseling, and intensive in-home mental health treatment;
- CHEMICAL DEPENDENCY SERVICES ensure those in need of substance abuse screenings and treatment are provided with evidence-based support;
- COMMUNITY PARTNERSHIPS connect students and families to a world of opportunities;
- MEDICAL, DENTAL, AND VISION care provided by partner agencies dedicated to high-quality care close to home;
- TITAN FAMILY ACTION MEMBERS (FAM) support students, families, and the Lorain community by fostering engagement and participation in our schools;
- FOOD SUPPORT through bimonthly school-based food pantries for families;
- HOMELESS SUPPORT to assist in removing barriers for students who are unhoused;
- LEGAL SERVICES for families;
- VETERANS SUPPORT for students of veterans and families;
- SUICIDE PREVENTION with an evidence-based framework that uses the Columbia screener and Navigate 360.