The Lorain City Schools has had an Academic Distress Commission (ADC) since April 2013. The ADC is a joint panel of local and state appointees created as a result of Ohio Revised Code 3302.10, applying to districts which received an overall grade of F on the Ohio School Report Cards for three consecutive years. In 2015, a new state takeover law was enacted, known as House Bill 70.
HOW MEMBER APPOINTMENTS ARE MADE
- Appointments are made within 30 days after the district is notified of the creation of the Academic Distress Commission.
- Members of the commission serve at the pleasure of their appointing authority
- A total of Five members are appointed:
- Three members are appointed by the State Superintendent; one of these appointee must be a county resident.
- The State Superintendent also designates the Chairperson from one of the three members he/she has appointed.
- One member is appointed by the president of the local school board, and must be a teacher employed by the district.
- One member is appointed by the City's mayor.
Under House Bill 70 ADC’s are required to appoint a Chief Executive Officer (CEO). The CEO is granted operational, managerial and instructional control of the district.
There have been three CEO's since House Bill 70 was enacted:
- David Hardy Jr. [2017 - 2019]
- Greg Ring, Interim [2019 - 2020]
- Dr. Jeff Graham [2020 - present]